The Assistant Buyer provides operational support to the Buyer with developing business strategies to maximize sales and profits for a group of specialty concept stores. Assists the Buyer in the selection and procurement of merchandise to achieve company goals. This includes interaction with vendors in terms of information gathering, problem resolution and purchasing of product, managing the purchase order cycle (i.e., writing the order, tracking key orders from shipment to the stores) through to analyzing its performance.
- Performs the administrative & operational functions supporting a designated buyer. Responsible for purchase order management and administration. This includes item file set up, order writing, changes and cancellations and any necessary follow-up (both internally and externally) to ensure key shipments are delivered and processed.
- Responsible for developing a working knowledge of the buying function including merchandise selection, negotiation, pricing and store merchandising.
- Provides on-going analysis and interpretation of key business issues as directed by supervisor. Including the monitoring of regional merchandise reports and other ad hoc analyses.
- Demonstrates product knowledge through sharing information with buyer as a result of competitive shopping and the market. Utilizes product knowledge to take the initiative to suggest new resources and creative methods of sourcing product.
- Communicate with Stores and vendors to provide information and problem solve.
- Assist in planning/coordination of availability of products for new store openings.
- Occasional market travel: visiting vendors, attending trade shows, etc.
Qualifications/Special Skills Required:
Essential: Prior experience as an Assistant Buyer with a specialty, discount or department store retailer.
Desirable: Bachelor’s degree in retail, fashion or marketing.
- Must be able to multi-task and have strong attention to detail.
- Must be able to build effective working relationships with vendors and colleagues.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to perform duties with minimal supervision.
- Strong math skills; ability to analyze sales and product statistics to support effective merchandising decisions.
- Must be articulate, assertive and have excellent communication skills.
- Strong computer skills; MS Excel and MS Word experience desired.
Thank you for your interest in a position with the Hudson Group / Dufry and sincerely appreciate your interest in our company.
We will screen all applicants and select candidates whose qualifications seem to meet our needs. We will carefully consider your application during the initial screening and will contact you if you are selected to continue in the recruitment process.
Hudson Group / Dufry provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants.
Hudson Group / Dufry is a drug free workplace and applicants are subject to drug screenings in compliance with local statutes.
Where permitted or required by law, applicants are subject to local, state and federal criminal background checks and background checks conducted by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).